Thank you everyone for helping me celebrate the release of Unicorn Island this past month! Watch for book 2, Secret Beneath the Sand, launching digitally in a 5-part serial first on the Epic! platform starting May 10.
I also ran away to this farmhouse in the woods at the end of February to get a new middle grade novel completed and sent to my literary agent. It includes adventure with lakes, loons, campgrounds, and the Appalachian Trail. I can’t wait to tell you more about it someday!
It was a rough week after retreat as I had surgery to remove my pesky little gallbladder, but I’ve been comforted by so many wonderful friends who’ve called, texted, emailed, sent flowers, and delivered food! I’m hoping to turn the corner any day soon. 😊
And now for fun unicorn stuff! Check out an interview on Literary Rambles this week PLUS go there to enter to win an illustrated hardcover copy of Unicorn Island!
Check out this wrap up of Unicorn Island news from this past month:
- Here’s a new recording I did with Teaching Books. Listen to me talk about the backstory of Unicorn Island, an excerpt from the book, and how my childhood helped me write magical stories! And here’s a recording of my name, its history, and what I think of it. 😊
- 5 Things to Like About Unicorn Island with Always in the Middle book blog plus a review. “Will for sure capture your imagination.”
- Read an excerpt of Unicorn Island on The Secret Files of Fairday Morrow plus a review. “Anyone who enjoys magic will fall right into this story.”
- A fun interview plus 3 fun facts about unicorns on Word Spelunking book blog!
- Video podcast with Middle Grade Ninja where we talk writing, Unicorn Island, plus a ghost story!
- Interview plus review on Geo Librarian blog. Find out my favorite part of writing! “A fun fantasy book.”
- Review of Unicorn Island on Fundimental book blog. “A beautifully written coming of age fantasy.”
- Interview on Literary Rambles and advice for writers.
Look what my publisher made! You can download these fun Unicorn Island activities for a book hideaway and make your own banner, bookmark, and door hanger.
I am also doing virtual school visits! I’m hopping across country from Pennsylvania to California and doing 5 in the San Jose school district alone this month. If you’d like me to visit with your school just check out my informational page here or download my virtual flyer here. **NEW** For 2021 I am donating all my virtual author visits for free!
CALLING ALL FICTION WRITERS!
Are you a fiction writer wondering how to create a world in your story? Then sign up for my virtual class: Foundations of Worldbuilding for Any Genre
Pearl S. Buck Writing Center
April 17th from 1:30pm – 3pm
All stories happen somewhere. Whether you write fantasy, dystopian, science fiction, or even about the “real world,” world building is key to creating a meaningful story.
I’ll share methods of world building that any writer can apply. From the smallest details to the rules of its universe, discover the way a considered approach to world building can govern the hearts of your characters and help drive your story.
Topics include: elements of world building, using world building to support conflict and tension, world building questions and resources, seven main areas that serve as the foundation for your world, and what to avoid in building your world. I’ll also share real-book examples to supplement my topics.
Fee is $25. REGISTER: https://psbwritingcenter.org/2021/02/27/foundations-of-world-building-for-all-genres/
Hope to see you there! Please share with your writing friends.
Haven’t gotten a copy yet of Unicorn Island for yourself or a unicorn lover you know? You can order it here at your favorite bookseller.
Spring is nearly here! Hope it’s a good one for you. –Donna